← All campaigns

Help Nikki get CT Scan, Anesthesia, Surgical Biopsy — Cary, NC

Gallery

8 photos

Final update · October 8, 2026

Thank you again to everyone who helped make it possible for us to get CT scans for Nikki. With the findings, at least we know we're able to keep her on an anti-inflammatory so we can spend as many days with her as possible during this unfortunate decline. Thank you for all the love and support, it really means a lot.

About this campaign

Our Nikki is a very loved member of our family of 7. She’s a rescue who got returned multiple times before we finally found her. She was an anxious, excited ball of energy for the 1st month but once she realized we weren’t giving up on her, she showed us who she really was. She's been the sweetest, most gentle dog — anyone who meets her instantly loves her and wants to keep her for themselves. 🩷

3 weeks ago, our dog developed throat pain, decreased appetite/thirst, and a lump on one side of her throat. Despite normal bloodwork/X-ray, it quickly spread to both sides while we waited for specialists/pathology. She’s rapidly declining and can now only eat watered-down soft food, won’t drink, and is visibly painful. BluePearl Cary needs a CT and surgical biopsy to determine if it’s treatable.

We searched for a long time to find a special dog to join our family as an emotional support animal, Nikki has perfectly fit that role, she has the best silly and loving personality. She’s very special to us, and we don’t want to lose her. She gives us hugs and likes to hide her nose in our legs to give affection, I know she’d love to spend many more years being spoiled and loved endlessly.

After two years of fighting a personal chronic health condition, we are maxed-out financially and desperate for help. Any amount helps, we can’t afford the treatment and are really scared we won’t be able to get her the care she needs 😢.

Updates

  • October 7, 2026

    I’m going to shut down the donation page soon. Thank you to everyone who helped us find out what was wrong with Nikki, unfortunately, we don’t have the funds to allow her to do any of the cancer-reducing options. At this point we will just offer her palliative care until she’s no longer enjoying her days. We are deeply saddened about her rapid decline, and are never going to be ready to let her go.

    Again, thank you for all the help in getting her a CT and biopsy so we knew what we were working with.

    🩷 Love, light, and blessings to all. 🐾

    Nikki
  • October 2, 2026

    🐾Prognosis is not good. The biopsy came back as tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma — it’s a very rare and aggressive form of cancer. We met with NC State Oncology today and they gave us options of:

    Surgery - $6-8K

    Radiation - $10K

    Chemo - $6K

    With no confirmation that any of these, or combination of any of these, will work because there isn't much research out there regarding Tonsillar carcinoma. Only thing we got was "We only know, the more we do the better chances we have a slowing growth" but there's no remission possible, just prolonging the inevitable. They gave us an estimate of days to months but can't even pinpoint any estimates of success or failure due to lack of knowledge on this particular type of cancer. High risk options with a lose - lose outcome.

    We are currently trying to decide which routes or combinations of routes we want to take, but ultimately, it doesn’t look like we will get much time with her regardless of our decision.

    Nikki
  • September 27, 2026

    Nikki is back home.

    CT scan went as best case scenario as possible.

    • She was able to be intubated so no tracheotomy needed

    • They were able to obtain a couple punch biopsies without having to surgically remove the tissue.

    • She reacted well to the anesthesia and is stable

    CT scan revealed that the main issue appears to be the right tonsil. They’re assuming the tonsil may have carcinogenic cells than then made the lymph system swell. The tonsil biopsy should come back early next week.

    A second aspirate was performed on the largest lymph node, still inconclusive, which mainly rules out this being an abscess, and gives it a low percentage of being an infection.

    For now, she’s resting at home with some meds to keep her comfortable till we get further news. If it is cancer, we’d be looking at surgery to remove the affected tonsils and lymphs, hopefully giving her more time with us.

    Nikki resting in her bed after coming back home from the CT
    Nikki resting in her bed after coming back home from the CT
  • September 25, 2026

    Nikki had to be hospitalized last night, the lumps are multiplying and we don't have the luxury of time to wait for the CT on Wednesday. They are going to try and get her in today, but no guarantees. We were told "odds are it's cancer". I really hope it's not that.

Location
Cary, NC
Species:
Dog
Breed:
Mix-Breed
Age:
8 years old
Sex:
Female